The largest memorial in the United States honoring black and female soldiers was completed by K/O Architects. K/O master planned, designed and provided construction management services for this, the first federally funded memorial project in the State of Iowa, and historically renovated a 1905 officer’s quarters for reuse as a museum.
Including the above mentioned 20,000 SF museum and education center (Clayton Hall), the park also features Building 48, Fort Des Moines’ Historic Chapel and an abstract monument by internationally acclaimed sculptor Richard Hunt. The sculpture is surrounded by a large granite reflecting pool with waterfall, and the ever–turbulent pool of remembrance. The balance of the site between Clayton Hall and the Chapel is a serene landscaped setting known as the Walk of Honor.